Col. Michael L. Reid is the 149th Fighter Wing Vice Commander, Texas Air National Guard, headquartered at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He assists the commander in providing the finest combat F-16 fighter pilots and combat support personnel for worldwide operations. The 149th FW is home to the 149th Maintenance Group, 149th Operations Group, 149th Mission Support Group and the 149th Medical Group. In addition, the 149th FW has five geographically separated units: Headquarters Texas Air National Guard, 203rd Security Forces Squadron, 204th SFS, 209th Weather Flight and the 273rd Information Operations Squadron.
Colonel Reid enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in March 1987. After completing basic training and maintenance technical training, he was assigned to the 7th Field Maintenance Squadron, 7th Bombardment Wing, Carswell Air Force Base, Texas, as a Strategic Aircraft Maintenance Specialist. In April 1992, he was assigned to the 507th Combat Logistic Support Squadron, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla., as an Assistant Team Chief. In March 1995, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force Reserve and was assigned to the 507th Aircraft Generation Squadron, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla., as Squadron Maintenance Officer, Officer-in-Charge of Management Systems. From January 1998 to September 2005, Colonel Reid was assigned to the 944th Maintenance Group, 944th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz., where he served as the 302nd Fighter Squadron Maintenance Officer-in-Charge, the 944th Maintenance Operations Flight Commander and the 944th Maintenance Squadron Commander. From September 2005 to February 2009, Colonel Reid served as the Commander of the 149th Maintenance Squadron. In 2011, he was chosen as the 149th MXG Commander and served in this capacity before he was selected to serve as the Vice Commander in October of 2015.
Colonel Reid also holds a variety of Federal Aviation Administration and Federal Communications Commission licenses that include Airframe and Power Plant, Inspection Authorization, General Radio Operator with Radar Endorsement, and Private Pilot Single-Engine Land.
1987 Aircraft Maintenance Specialist Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1988 EC/RC/KC-135 Aircraft Maintenance Technician Course, Carswell AFB, Texas
1989 Associate of Applied Science, Community College of the Air Force
1991 EC/RC/KC-135 Engine Operation Course, Carswell AFB, Texas
1991 Bachelor of Science, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Ill.
1992 Aircraft Battle Damage Repair Course, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
1994 Aircraft Battle Damage Repair General Assessor Course, Tinker AFB, Okla.
1996 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2000 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2001 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2002 Air Education and Training Command Aircraft Maintenance Management Course, Luke AFB, Ariz.
2004 Master of Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2004 Jet Engine Mishap Investigation Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2009 Air War College, by correspondence
1. October 2015 - Present, Vice Commander, 149th FW, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
2. May 2011 – October 2015, Commander, 149th MXG, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
3. August 2009 – May 2011, Commander, 482nd Maintenance Group, Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla.
4. February 2009 – August 2009, Commander, 482nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Homestead ARB, Fla.
5. May 2006 – February 2009, Commander, 149th Maintenance Squadron, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
6. September 2005 – May 2006, Maintenance Officer, 149th MXS, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
7. May 2004 – September 2005, Commander, 944th Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. October 2002 – May 2004, Commander, 944th Maintenance Operations Flight, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. January 1998 – October 2002, Maintenance Officer, 302nd Fighter Squadron Maintenance, Luke AFB, Ariz.
10. February 1995 – January 1998, Maintenance Officer, 507th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla..
11. April 1992 - February 1995, Asst. Team Chief, 507th Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
12. August 1987- April 1992, Aircraft Crew Chief, 7th Field Maintenance Squadron, Carswell AFB, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
U.S. Air Force Noncommissioned Officer Professional Military Education Graduate Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
2000 944th Fighter Wing Junior Officer of the Year
2000 10th Air Force Outstanding Junior Officer of the Year
2001 Air Force Reserve Command Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award
2009 Texas Lone Star Distinguished Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant February 23, 1995
First Lieutenant March 1, 1997
Captain September 30, 1999
Major September 30, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel October, 22, 2007
Colonel December, 17 2011
(Current as of January 2017)