Col. Kurt Leslie is the 149th Maintenance Group Commander, Texas Air National Guard, headquartered at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He is responsible for command, control and supervision of maintenance personnel tasked with the responsibility of providing maintenance support for all assigned F-16 aircraft. Colonel Leslie is also the Maintenance Vice-Chair of Combat Air Forces for the Air National Guard, which is part of the Air Directorate Field Advisory Council that advises the Air National Guard Director on personnel and readiness programs. Colonel Leslie also serves on the National Guard of the U.S. Association Combat Air Forces Task Force, which provides a conduit between the Air National Guard staff and elected officials.
Col Leslie is from Crosby, Texas and began his military career by entering the active-duty Air Force as an enlisted member July 23, 1980. During his enlisted career, he was a Crew Chief on various fighter aircraft and also served as an Aircraft Maintenance Instructor. He separated from active duty March 31, 1988 and joined the Texas Air National Guard at Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base in Houston before being commissioned as a second lieutenant April 20, 1995. Colonel Leslie has previously held command positions in the Maintenance Operations Flight, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron and Maintenance Squadron. He has accumulated more than 20 years of command experience and has deployed in the summer of 2005 in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM at Balad Air Base, Iraq and again in the fall of 2007. Colonel Leslie has also deployed to the border of Texas in 2008 as the Director of Operations and in 2013 as the Deputy Commander in support of Operation LONE STAR.
1983 Noncommissioned Officers Preparatory School, Suwon Air Base, South Korea
1987 NCO Leadership School, Randolph AFB, Texas
1987 Air Force Principles of Instruction, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1988 Associate of Applied Science, Aircraft Maintenance Technology, CCAF, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1989 NCO Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1993 Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1995 Bachelor of Science, Human Science, University of Houston-Clear Lake
1995 Academy of Military Science, McGee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
1996 Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officers Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1999 Air Force Combat Ammunition Planning and Production Course, Beale AFB, Calif.
2000 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Master of Aeronautical Science, Aviation/Aerospace Management, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach Fla., Distinguished Graduate
2002 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Kirtland AFB N.M.
2002 Air National Guard Intermediate Leadership Course, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2003 Air National Guard Workforce Diversity Education Course, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
2004 Secretary of the Air Force Investigating Officers Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 On-Scene Commanders Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Air National Guard Senior Commander’s Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2010 National Guard Fiscal Law Course, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
2010 Air National Guard Leadership Challenge Course, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
2010 Air Combat Command Senior Leaders Maintenance Course, Langley AFB, Va.
2011 Joint Forces Staff College, Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Norfolk Naval Station, Va.
2013 Joint Domestic Operations Training, U.S. Northern Command, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2016 Executive Cyber Leaders Course, University of Texas, San Antonio
1. July 2016 – Present, Commander, 149th MXG, 149th FW, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
2. October 2009 – July 2016, Commander, 147th MXG, 147th Reconnaissance Wing, Ellington JRB, Texas
3. July 2007 – October 2009, Commander, 147th AMXS, 147th RW, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
4. January 2001 – July 2007, Commander, 147th MXS, 147th FW, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
5. August 1998 – January 2001, Officer-in-Charge, 147th EMF, 147th MXS, 147th FW, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
6. November 1997 – August 1998, Commander, 147th AGS, 147th FW, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
7. July 1997 – November 1997, Logistics Plans Officer, 147th FW, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
8. April 1995 – July 1997, Commander, 147th Logistics Support Flight, 147th FW, Ellington JRB, Texas
9. July 1994 – April 1995, Chief, 147th LSF, 147th FW, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
10. April 1991 – July 1994, Plans and Scheduling NCOIC, 147th CAMS, 147th Fighter Group, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
11. March 1989 – April 1991, Production Controller, 147th CAMS, 147th FG, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
12. November 1988 – March 1989, F-4 Phase Crew Chief, 147th CAMS, 147th FG, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
13. March 1988 – November 1988, F-4 R&R Crew Chief, 147th CAMS, 147th FG, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
14. February 1987 – March 1988, T-37/T-38 Maintenance Instructor, DCM Staff, 12th FTW, Randolph AFB, Texas
15. May 1985 – February 1987, T-38 Crew Chief, Recovery Maintenance, 12th FTW, Randolph AFB, Texas
16. February 1984 – May 1985, T-38 Crew Chief, Talon 1 Maintenance Flight, 12th FTW, Randolph AFB, Texas
17. January 1983 – February 1984, A-10 Crew Chief, 6151st CAMS, Suwon AB, South Korea
18. January 1982 – January 1983, F-15 Alert Crew Chief, DCM Staff, 49th FW Holloman AFB, N.M.
19. November 1980 – January 1982, F-15 Crew Chief, 7th AMU, 49th FW Holloman AFB N.M.
20. August 1980 – November 1980, Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Technical School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
21. July 1980 – August 1980, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Lone Star Distinguished Service Medal
Selected for “Below the Zone” Promotion to Senior Airman, 1983
Airman of the Quarter, 6151st CAMS, 1983
Commandants Award for Leadership, NCO Leadership School, 1987
Air Combat Command Superior Performer, QAFA, 1995
Chairman of the Joint Labor Management Committee, 1997 – 2013
Graduated with Distinction from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, 2001
Air National Guard Lieutenant General Leo Marquez Award, 2010
Team Chief for the Air National Guard Logistics Standardization Evaluation Team, 2011-2014
Air National Guard Maintenance Effectiveness Award (Unit Award), 2014
“The Product Quality Deficiency Reporting Program in the 147th Fighter Wing,” Research Project for Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, May 2001
“AMMO, Air National Guard Style”, Exceptional Release Magazine, Summer 2001 edition. “That’s the Brakes,” Air Force Safety Magazine, October 2007
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States
National Guard Association of Texas – Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
American Association of Airport Executives
Ace in the Hole Retirees Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman January 15, 1981
Airman First Class January 15, 1982
Senior Airman July 21, 1983
Sergeant August 12, 1984
Staff Sergeant May 10, 1987
Technical Sergeant March 5, 1990
Master Sergeant April 20, 1995
Second Lieutenant April 20, 1997
First Lieutenant October 14, 1990
Captain May 20, 1999
Major June 16, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel August 10, 2007
Colonel May, 26, 2011
(Current as of January 2017)