Col. Megan H. Erickson is Vice Commander of the 149th Fighter Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. She assists the commander in providing the finest combat F-16 fighter pilots and combat support personnel for worldwide operations. The 149th FW is home to the 149th Maintenance Group, 149th Operations Group, 149th Mission Support Group and the 149th Medical Group. In addition, the 149th FW has five geographically separated units: Headquarters Texas Air National Guard, 203rd Ground Combat Training Squadron, 204th Security Forces Squadron, 209th Weather Flight and the 273rd Cyber Operations Squadron.
Colonel Erickson received her commission in the U.S. Air Force in June 1994 after graduating from the University of North Carolina in Wilmington. She served on active duty for eight years before continuing her service in the Air National Guard in 2002. She has experience in protocol, public affairs, executive support, personnel, finance and logistics. She was the Chief of Protocol during the aftermath of the Khobar Tower attack and subsequent transition of deployed forces to Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia. She has also served as the Support Director for the Domestic Operations Task Force, Joint Force Headquarters in Austin, where she provided support to facilitate National Guard operations for the State of Texas and the Domestic Operations Component (DOMOPS).
Prior to her current assignment,.she served as Commander of the 149th MSG at JBSA-Lackland, Texas.
1991 Bachelor of Arts, Mass Communications, University of North Carolina, Wilmington
1994 Officer Training School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1995 Information Management School, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1996 Masters in Business Administration, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, by correspondence
2008 Air War College, Air University, by correspondence
2010 Joint Staff Training Course, Salem, Ore.
2011 Logistics Readiness Officer School, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
2012 Inspector General Training Course, McLean, Va.
2013 FEMA IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, IS-775, IS-800
2013 USAF Incident Management Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2013 JOC 101 Course, Salem, Ore.
2017 Air National Guard Commander Development Course, ANGRC, Md.
2018 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College. Norfolk, Va.
2019 Senior Leader Innovation Course, University of Texas at Austin, Texas Executive Education
2019 Joint Domestic Operations Course, NORAD and USNORTHCOM
1. July 1994 – September 1995, Deputy Chief of Protocol, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
2. September 1995 – November 1996, Section Commander, 309th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz. (July 1996 October 1996, Chief of Protocol, Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia)
3. November 1996 – June 1998, Executive Support, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
4. June 1998 – November 1998, Executive Officer, 1st Support Group, Langley AFB, Va.
5. November 1998 – July 1999, Executive Officer, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va.
6. July 1999 – December 2000, Section Commander, 353rd Maintenance Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
7. December 2000 – July 2002, Chief Relocations, 18th Mission Support Group, Kadena AB, Japan
8. July 2002 – March 2005, Community Manager/PAO, 173rd Fighter Wing, Oregon Air National Guard
9. March 2005 – June 2010, Comptroller, 173d Fighter Wing, Oregon ANG
10. June 2010 – January 2012, Commander, 173rd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Oregon ANG
11. June 2010 – January 2012, Deputy Commander, 173rd Mission Support Group, Oregon ANG
12. March 2012 – February 2013, Inspector General, 149th Fighter Wing, Texas Air National Guard
13. February 2013 – April 2015, Deputy Commander, 149th Mission Support Group, TXANG
14. April 2015 – March 2017, Support Directorate, JFHQ, DOMOPS, Camp Mabry, Texas National Guard
15. March 2017 – August 2019, Commander, 149th MSG, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
16. August 2019 – Present, Vice Commander, 149th FW, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 22, 1994
First Lieutenant June 22, 1996
Captain June 22, 1998
Major Jan. 14, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel June 27, 2007
Colonel April 20, 2015
(Current as of September 2019)