Col. Matthew C. Jensen is the 149th Operations Group Commander, Air National Guard, headquartered at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. The 149th OG trains more than 40 F-16 fighter pilots a year as an Air Education and Training Command formal training unit. As an integral part of the Total Force, the 149th Fighter Wing trains pilots from both active and reserve components. The 149th FW is an active participant in the State Partnership Program with Chile and the Czech Republic.
Colonel Jensen graduated from U.S. Air Force Academy in 1998 with a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering. He has served in various operational, combat and training assignments as an F-16 Instructor Pilot in active duty and the ANG. His experience includes tours at Sheppard Air Force Base, Luke AFB, Kunsan Air Base, Spangdahlem AB and Kelly AFB. He is a graduate of Weapons School and Air War College.
Colonel Jensen has deployed in support of Operations Southern Watch and Iraqi Freedom and has flown more than 100 combat hours. He is a senior pilot with more than 3,000 total flight hours and formerly served as the commander of the 182nd Fighter Squadron at JBSA-Lackland, Texas. Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Jensen served as the Guard Advisor, 19th Air Force.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2004 Squadron Officer Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2005 Master of Business Administration, Touro University
2009 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1. June 1994 - May 1998, student, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2. October 1998 – October 1999, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. January 2000 – February 2000, student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
4. April 2000 – December 2000, student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Texas
5. January 2001 – January 2002, squadron scheduler, 35th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, ROK
6. February 2002 – December 2002, squadron scheduler, 22nd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany.
7. December 2002 – October 2003, chief of standardization/Eval, 22nd FS, Spangdahlem AB, Germany.
8. October 2003 – November 2004, Flight Commander, 22nd FS, Spangdahlem AB, Germany.
9. November 2004 – December 2004, student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. December 2004 – July 2006, Chief of Scheduling, 62nd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. July 2006 – January 2007, Chief Instructor, 56th Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
12. July 2007 – September 2007, Division Chief, 56th TS, Luke AFB, Ariz.
13. September 2007 – July 2009, Chief of Scheduling, 182nd Fighter Squadron, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
14. July 2009 – December 2009, student, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
15. December 2009 – December 2012, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 182nd FS, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
16. December 2012 – October 2015, Flight Commander, 182nd FS, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
17. October 2015 – July 2015, Director of Operations, 182nd FS, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
18. July 2015 – February 2018, Squadron Commander, 182nd FS, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
19. February 2018 – April 2018, Guard Advisor to A2/3/10, Air Education and Training Command, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
20. April 2018 – November 2018, Guard Advisor to 19th Air Force, AETC, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
21. November 2018 – present, Group Commander, 149th Operations Group, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,930
Aircraft Flown: F-16 C/D, AT-38, T-38, T-37, T-3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short
AF Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1998
First Lieutenant May 2000
Captain May 2002
Major Sept. 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 2013
Colonel Feb. 2018
(Current as of February 2019)