Col. Darren P. Bemis is the Commander of the 149th Maintenance Group, 149th Fighter Wing, headquartered at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He is responsible for flight line and back shop maintenance on all of the wing’s F-16 C/D aircraft. The primary mission of the 149th FW is to support and perform initial F-16 pilot training, upgrade instructor pilot training and refresher pilot training.
Colonel Bemis enlisted into the Air Force in 1995 as an Electronic Warfare Technician. While assigned to Aviano Air Base in Italy, he completed his Bachelor of Professional Aeronautics from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and was commissioned in 2000. His first assignment after commissioning was a maintenance officer at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. While assigned to Dover’s 436th Airlift Wing, he held three duty positions: Fabrication Flight Vommander, Sortie Support Flight Commander and Chief of Quality Assurance.
Colonel Bemis separated from the active duty in 2007 before joining the 149th FW in San Antonio as the Maintenance Operations Officer. In 2009, he served as the acting 149th Maintenance Squadron commander for four months before deploying to Balad, Iraq in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM as the Commander of the 512th Air Mobility Wing, Det 5. While deployed, he was responsible for all enroute maintenance on C-15, C-17 and KC-135 aircraft. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Bemis served as the commander of the 149th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron.
2000 Bachelor of Professional Aeronautics, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2001 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2009 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, by correspondence
2012 Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2012 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2020 Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter, Ala., by correspondence
1. May 1995-February 1996, Basic Military Training and Technical Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. March 1996-March 1999, Electronic Warfare Techinican, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano Air Base, Italy
3. March 1999-December 2000, Electronic Warfare Techinician, 366th Air Expeditionary Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
4. January 2001-December 2003, Commander, Fabrication Flight, Sortie Support Flight and Chief Quality Assurance, 436th Maintenance Group, Dover AFB, Del.
5. January 2004-May 2005, CV-22 Deputy Director of Logistics, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center (AFOTEC), Edwards AFB, Cali.
6. May 2005-May 2007, Officer-in-Charge, Mobility/Special Operation Forces Aircraft Section, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. September 2007-February 2009, Maintenance Operations Officer, 149th Fighter Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
8. February 2009-June 2009, Interim Commander, 149th Maintenance Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
9. June 2009-November 2009, Detachment Commander, 512th Air Mobility Wing, Det 5, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
10. November 2009-June 2011, Maintenance Operations Officer, 149th MXS, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
11. June 2011-June 2012, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
12. June 2012-March 2019, Commander, 149th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
13. March 2019-present, Commander, 149th Maintenance Group, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
AF Longevity Service
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with ‘M’ Device
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 18, 2000
First Lieutenant Aug. 18, 2002
Captain Aug. 18, 2004
Major Jan. 26, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 26, 2017
Colonel June 24, 2021
(Current as of July 2021)